How master points are compute?
moistsilver
2004-09-17 16:17:59 UTC
All,

How can I know how many Master Points I will get from the Difficulty
level?

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/UyQolB/TM

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Christopher Cotton
2004-09-17 16:54:05 UTC
Here is the listing of the Master Points levels, and what bonus you get for
reaching that level.

City Slicker 0
Shopkeeper 10 create a grid-shaped galaxy
Farmer 25 play against IQ 125 computers
Miner 50 start as a 'Backward' system
Greenhorn 75 play 20 years per turn
Sourdough 100 let computers start on an 'Advanced' system
Muletender 150 play against IQ 150 computers
Cowpoke 200 start as a 'Barren' system
Ranch Hand 250 play against up to 5 computers
Buckaroo 300 play 30 years per turn
Horseman 400 play against IQ 175 computers
Horse Breaker 500 let computers start on an 'Thriving' system
Cowboy 750 play against up to 6 computers
Vaquero 1000 create a random galaxy
Deputy 1500 play 50 years per turn
Lawman 2000 play against IQ 200 computers
Sherriff 3000 play against up to 7 computers
Marshall 5000 start as an 'Outpost' system
Ranger 10000 let computers start on an 'Abundant' system
Gunfighter 20000 play against up to 8 computers
Outlaw 50000 create a hex-shaped galaxy
Desperado 100000 play against best-buddy computers
Shootist 1000000
Antares Kid 10000000
Ho! Champion 100000000

Christopher
_________________
Christopher Cotton
http://christophercotton.com/

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/UyQolB/TM

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Erik Zentmyer
2004-10-12 04:43:55 UTC
lemme see:

100,000,000 to "win" the game

the most points per game that I've seen cited is around 2500, for at best a 1 hour game.

So, best case, 40,000 hours to win. That's 4 1/2 years of playing time. Assuming I only play 8 hours a day, that's 13 1/2 years.

I'd better get busy!

Christopher Cotton <***@christophercotton.com> wrote:
[...]

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

beobot
2004-10-12 21:24:52 UTC
I had to wipe my Palm, and I seem to have lost my backed up copy of 1.0.5. I
can only find a link to download 1.0.4. Is that still the latest? I'd really
like to have a version with the galaxy-size fix.

thanks.

-e

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Benjamin Lai
2004-10-14 21:43:13 UTC
Is there anything special after reaching Ho! Champion?

I am a Shootist now and I don't think it will ever reach the next rank. Should give us more incentive to keep going ;)
[...]

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Anthony Hess
2004-10-14 22:50:14 UTC
Well, I started playing Ho! on a Mac Plus so long ago I cant even remember
when it was. Probably in high school (Im 29). I think I might be looking
at that length of time to hit Ho Champ :)

I didn¹t submit it because I didn¹t remember too many specifics, but Ive
beaten a 102 or 103 game before (not including when the software was in beta
­ I think the AI got better or else I just forgot my ³trick² to winning
really high games). I think thats worth like 3000 points or so. I think
its pretty easy to pretty reliably beat a 99 caliber opponent if you pick
the right options ­ as soon as Apple ships my laptop back (sorry, not
playing the Palm version ­ should mention that) Ill post what those are. I
bet if you figure out how to take out a 105-110 opponent the points would
come pretty quickly.

Tony
[...]
Yahoo! Mail
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/virus/*http://promotions.yahoo.com/n
ew_mail/static/protection.html> - Helps protect you from nasty viruses.
Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129cur6nm/M=315388.5497957.6576270.3001176/D=gro
ups/S=1705053332:HM/EXP=1097878027/A=2372354/R=0/SIG=12id813k2/*https://www.o
rchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?pf=PLApply&media=EMYHNL40F21004SS>
Yahoo! Groups Links
* http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ho5palm/
*
*
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
joeengineer
2004-10-14 23:54:39 UTC
Post by Anthony Hess
I didn¹t submit it because I didn¹t remember too many specifics, but Ive
beaten a 102 or 103 game before (not including when the software was
I just beat a game that was 102 difficulty but when I finished it said I
beat a 103 difficulty game for 3040 points. It wasn't a particularly
fast game or anything.

I used the following options:
Shape: Ring
Size: Smallest (slider to the left)
Density: Highest (slider to the left)
Bad Guys: 7
IQ: 199
Computer Players: Based on IQ
Years per turn: 10
Home System: Advanced

I'm not sure why others play 50 years per turn. Too much happens in
those 50 years for me to control the game properly and I get wiped out
every time. Even if I try to play 20 or 30 years per turn I usually
lose badly. Maybe I'm missing something.

I'm only a Marshall after that last game. Once I get to Gunfighter and
have 8 bad guys, I would think I could beat a higher difficulty game
since one more bad guy won't matter much.

Benjamin Lai
2004-10-15 06:14:45 UTC
The reason I play a 50 year turn is that I get more time to advance in tech
between battles. The tech moves way faster and I can switch back to a 10
year turn anymore ;) just simply doesn't feel right when I need to wait 3
turns for a tech to advance.

Anthony Hess
2004-10-15 06:36:33 UTC
I think mine was very similar to that, except the IQ was set at 160 and
there were 8 players. I think the rest was the same - except perhaps I went
with Normal for Home System. Don't recall now ...

Tony

PS Just another "back in the day" comment - the game was much longer when
it used to take like 2 minutes to process a turn for the computer :-D

Benjamin Lai
2004-10-15 06:12:38 UTC
Yeah right, I managed to win a 140 difficulty once (and took me a lot of
tries, lots of time wasted), and I only get 14x,xxx MPs, that means about
1000 games of that to finish the whole game. Mind you I never managed to win
another 140 difficulty game (I think that's the max). I am still stuck on
Shootist rank and going nowhere for half a month now.

Christopher Cotton
2004-10-15 15:52:14 UTC
By the way, for those of you playing the palm and mac versions. They are
based on the exact same code. So, the games and AI opponents are exactly the
same on both platforms. We actually compile the Palm version using the same
code.

Christopher
_________________

MoistSilver
2004-10-16 02:56:18 UTC
Hi all,

if you want to know how many Master points, you will get for a specific
difficulty level, use the following formula to find it:
MP (calculated) = 10((Difficulty-30.0117) / 20.9567)

Yahoo! Groups Links
joeengineer
2004-10-16 03:12:56 UTC
Post by MoistSilver
if you want to know how many Master points, you will get for a
MP (calculated) = 10((Difficulty-30.0117) / 20.9567)
For the less complex-exponentially inclined;

Difficulty / MP
70 / 81
71 / 90
100 / 2186
101 / 2440
102 / 2723
103 / 3040
104 / 3393
105 / 3787
106 / 4226
107 / 4717
108 / 5265
109 / 5877
110 / 6559
111 / 7321
112 / 8171
113 / 9120
114 / 10179
115 / 11361
116 / 12681
117 / 14153
118 / 15797
119 / 17632
120 / 19679
121 / 21965
122 / 24516
123 / 27363
124 / 30541
125 / 34088
126 / 38047
127 / 42465
128 / 47397
129 / 52901
130 / 59045
131 / 65903
132 / 73556
133 / 82099
134 / 91634
135 / 102276
136 / 114154
137 / 127411
138 / 142208
139 / 158724
140 / 177158
141 / 197732
142 / 220696
143 / 246327
144 / 274935
145 / 306865
146 / 342503
147 / 382280
148 / 426677
149 / 476230
150 / 531538

Benjamin Lai
2004-10-17 07:15:14 UTC
How do i set up the game for difficulty 140 above? I can only set it to 140
max...

joeengineer
2004-10-17 23:40:26 UTC
Post by Benjamin Lai
How do i set up the game for difficulty 140 above? I can only set it to 140
max...
You transfer the imaho.iam file to a memory card using the free file
flicker software and then link up to the computer with a serial-USB-YMCA
connector and transwarp the file over to the computer. Then you
decompile the file with a decombobulator program and edit the file with
WordPerfect version 2.0 or less. Look for a hexed line that starts out
with 666. Change the hexed data in this line from 0x239A to EIEIO (As
in "Old Macdonald had a farm"). Save this file and recompile with a
recombobulator program, re-transwarp the file through the
serial-USB-YMCA conduit, and engage!

Actually, I have no idea what the maximum is so I just ran the numbers
up to 150 in excel to generate the chart. I'm just a lowly Ranger right
now (Not to be confused with the Lone Ranger).

Which reminds me of a joke...

The Lone Ranger and Tonto were riding across the plains one day, when
Tonto suddenly cocked his ear at a passing falcoln's cry. "Kemosabe...
Apache to East!" he whispered.

The Lone Ranger looked to his faithful companion. "What do we do?"

Tonto pondered a moment. "We ride West!"

After riding a short while, Tonto again paused, searching the horizon
with his eagle-sharp eyes. "Kemosabe... Apache to West!"

The Masked Man looked once again at his friend. "What should we do?"

Tonto scratched his head in thought. "We ride North!"

After a brief ride, Tonto stopped to scent the breeze. "Kemosabe...
Apache to North!"

"What do we do now?" his companion asked.

Without hesitation, Tonto replied, "We ride South!"

Within minutes, Tonto reigned in his horse and dropped to the ground.
Placing his ear to the earth, he listened intently. "Kemosabe... Apache
to South!"

Worried, the Lone One asked him, "NOW what do we do?"

Tonto thought hard for a moment, his eyes squinting in concentration.
Then his face lit up. "What do you mean "WE", White Man?"

Christopher Cotton
2004-10-18 02:53:23 UTC
Post by Benjamin Lai
How do i set up the game for difficulty 140 above? I can only set it to 140
max...
The max difficulty level is limited by your current rank.

Shootist 140
Antares Kid 145
Ho! Champion 150

Christopher
_________________

Benjamin Lai
2004-10-18 16:24:15 UTC
You mean I can get the 145 difficulty in Antares Kid with the same settings
that get me 140 in Shootist?

Christopher Cotton
2004-10-18 17:52:02 UTC
Post by Benjamin Lai
You mean I can get the 145 difficulty in Antares Kid with the same settings
that get me 140 in Shootist?
Yes, you can set the difficulty higher the more ranks you get.

Christopher
_________________

moistsilver
2005-08-11 14:48:23 UTC
Hi all,

I would like to know if somebody was able to start ag ame with a
difficulty level higher than 140? Is it a bug or it is really
working?

The first time I tried it, I cheat and increase my master points
ranking. It did not work. I decided to do with without cheating.

I deleted the Ho game from my palm and restarted from scratch 2
months ago (by the way, it was afun experience). I am currently at
600K MP without performing any cheating. I am trying to reach the
Antares Kid level to verify that I can start a game with a difficulty
level higher than 140.

I still have along time to go. I will keep you update when I finally
reach the "Antarez Kid" level (10 000 000 MP). It will take a long
time. So, don't expect an update in the next few months...

moistsilver
2012-02-12 05:06:07 UTC
For people that would like the real value, this is the result I compiled (game I won at different level) while I was playing the game on my palm back in 2005:

Difficulty Master Points
47 6
53 12
59 24
61 30
62 33
65 46
70 81
75 140
82 302
83 337
85 420
88 585
90 729
94 1131
95 1262
96 1409
100 2187
102 2724
103 3040
112 8173
116 12684
121 21968
123 27367
126 38050
132 73559
136 114152
137 127408
138 142203
140 177147
Post by joeengineer
Post by MoistSilver
[...]

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
ho5palm-***@yahoogroups.com
ho5palm-***@yahoogroups.com

ho5palm-***@yahoogroups.com

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Christopher Cotton
2012-02-13 02:52:48 UTC
Nice list! And you played a game at each level! that is impressive.
Difficulty      Master Points
47      6
53      12
59      24
61      30
62      33
65      46
70      81
75      140
82      302
83      337
85      420
88      585
90      729
94      1131
95      1262
96      1409
100     2187
102     2724
103     3040
112     8173
116     12684
121     21968
123     27367
126     38050
132     73559
136     114152
137     127408
138     142203
140     177147

MoistSilver
2004-10-16 18:31:12 UTC

Thanks for yesterday E-Mail. This gave me the solution on how to cheat to
win any game.

Here is how I did it:
1- Start a new game with the difficulty level you want to win.
2- Play 3-4 turns.
3- Backup the game on a SD card (using CardBackup or other software).
4- Perform a HotSync to get a copy of the DB (ho-saved-games.PDB) on your
PC.
5- Note how much metal, saving and your tech. level.
6- Convert the Metal & Saving value in Hex.
(ex. 9114 -> 0x239A)
7- Open the "ho-saved-games.PDB" with a Hex editor (HexEdit).
Note: HexEdit 2.0 can be download free from Internet.
8- Find the money value in Hex in the file.
(for my game, the information was store at line starting by address
0x7B0).
9- Change the hex value for the new hex value you want for Metal & Saving.
(ex. 0x239A -> 0x9239A -> 598938).
10- Do the same for the tech level. Remember, tech level can not ne higher
than 50.
11- You need to get access to your SD card on your PC (SD reader).
12- Find the name of the saved games database archive on the SD card (use
file size to find out).
13- Rename the file you just edit to this name.
14- Replace file on the SD card.
15- Restore this file on the Palm using CardBackup.

For my current game,
The game status is:
- Year: 2200
- Metal: 598938
- Savings: 16.07M
- Tech: R=11, Sp=9, W=13, Sh=9, M=5

Sylvain

Christopher Cotton
2004-10-15 14:33:24 UTC
Post by Benjamin Lai
Is there anything special after reaching Ho! Champion?
I am a Shootist now and I don't think it will ever reach the next rank. Should
give us more incentive to keep going ;)
Great job on reaching that high of level, that is outstanding. The only
thing you get from further ranks is the new title.

Christopher